Examples of jobs you may be qualified for after completion of this program:
- Electronic Prepress Technician $11-15/hr.
Salary information is based on hourly, monthly, or annual estimates from the State of California Employment Development Department.
720 hours. Complete in 28 to 30 weeks.
Using state-of-the-art computers, develop skills and use software to design promotional pieces. This course is hands-on so you learn supportive skills in related print operations as you work on actual projects in a real print shop environment. You will learn:
- Industry-standard software for document layout (e.g. InDesign, QuarkXPress, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Adobe Acrobat)
- Preparation of digital files for print
- Computerized workflow for operation of computer-to-plate imagesetters
- Safety procedures
- General knowledge of layout and production
- Supportive skills in related printing operations
- Working with clients
- Correct use of bindery equipment (e.g. bookletmaker, folder, cutter)
- Bidding and estimating projects
- Preparation of work orders
- Basic computer literacy skills
- Workplace skills and business ethics
Classes are open entry/open exit which means you can enroll anytime and work at your own pace. When you complete all the necessary coursework, you will receive a certificate that verifies your skills.
Instruction includes 220 lecture hours including audio visual presentations and field trips covering the graphics industry standards of operation, and 500 laboratory hours using demonstrations, workbook study, and hands-on production time.
Upon completion of this program, you will be prepared for entry-level employment in the graphics trade, and you will have a professional portfolio of finished projects that exhibits your work and knowledge.