As a family child day care provider you decide when you work and how much money you make. A certification can serve as an excellent stepping stone to continued education in the area of child development, or can lead directly to a job as a childcare worker.
Taking care of children can feel like a full-time job, and for some people, it is a full-time job. If you enjoy the time you spend with hands-on childcare, consider a career in this field.
Examples of jobs you may be qualified for after completion of this program:
- Pre-school Assistant $9-14/hr.
- Family Childcare Provider $300-500/mo.
- After-school Aide $9-14/hr.
Salary information is based on hourly, monthly, or annual estimates from the State of California Employment Development Department.
350 hours. Complete in 58 to 90 weeks.
You will gain experience in providing care by interacting with your own and/or other children who participate in the program. You will learn:
- Basic development of infants and young children
- Interaction with parents and child development professionals
- How to apply for a family home day care license
- Discipline and communication skills for the different stages of child growth and development
- Safety and health requirements for day care providers
- Home day care business practices
Maintaining a positive experience working with children, keeping good organizational skills, and having the ability to work with other parents will help you succeed in this job training program. Upon completion of the program, the certificate will assist you in your vocation as a parent, or a child care worker.
A course for students with limited English skills is also available with an emphasis on helping children succeed in school.