The ESL Program in the Continuing Education Program consists of core ESL courses at 7 different levels at 6 different campuses in the city of San Diego. On a yearly basis, we serve approximately 20,000 adult ESL students. We also have Citizenship classes, and Vocational English as a Second Language (VESL) courses. Our ESL resources were developed to support these programs. Our resources include the following:
- ESL program information: General information about our program.
- Procedure for Applying for a Teaching Position in our ESL Program.
- Guidelines for Visiting ESL Classes & Doing Extended Observations
- ESL program and student learning outcomes
- Five complete lessons for family literacy. The lessons include short readings, visuals and follow up exercises designed to teach English in context of themes relevant to parents helping their children succeed in school.
- Three lesson plans on goal setting. The lessons help students identify goals related to learning English and strategies for monitoring completion of their language learning goals. The third lesson focuses on strategies for dealing with barriers to goal setting.
- EL Civics Website
- Dialogue newsletter: This newsletter, published 2-3 times a year, summarizes our program outcomes, special projects, and includes success stories of our students.
You are welcome to duplicate or adapt our lessons for use in your program, but please give credit to our program for materials developed by us. Thank you.